Trash & Recycling
Important Solid Waste and Recycling Collection Information
Dear Hopewell Township Resident,
Please be advised that Penn Waste, Inc has been awarded the Solid Waste & Recycling Collection contract with Hopewell Township for the term of 1/1/23 – 12/31/24. We look forward to continuing to service the residents of Hopewell Township. Our goal is to provide you with superior customer service. Please review the contents of this flyer for useful information on your collection service. Please have your items placed at the curb prior to 6:00 AM as we will start promptly. Your collection day will remain the same as your previous contract, Tuesday & Friday. Your weekly collection will consist of the following options below. Penn Waste will be billing you directly under this contract. Your first quarterly bill will be sent in November 2022 and will cover the 1st quarter of 2023.
Penn Waste is the exclusive hauler for Hopewell Township under this contract. Rates below are for the 2024 calendar year. The rate and service level is as follows:
* If you need a recycling cart, please contact Penn Waste customer service at 717-767-4456.
Mobile Carts Now REQUIRED for Trash and Recycling Pickup in Hopewell Township
Please be advised that in the new contract between Hopewell Township and Penn Waste, the utilization of mobile carts is required to ensure collection of waste and recyclables.
For customers that already have mobile carts provided by Penn Waste for trash or recycling, you may continue to utilize the mobile cart you received. If you were renting a mobile cart for trash, you will no longer be charged a rental fee in 2023.
For customers that do not have a mobile cart for trash, you will be receiving a mobile cart in December 2022. If you are currently a Basic Service customer, you will receive a 96 gallon mobile cart for trash collection. If you are a low volume service customer, you will receive a 35 gallon mobile cart for trash collection. If you do not have a mobile cart for recycling, please contact Penn Waste to have a mobile cart for recycling delivered. This only applies to customers that do not have a mobile cart for recycling.
If you should have any questions on mobile carts, please contact our customer service department at 717-767-4456. The use of mobile carts is required.
Proper Cart Placement
Please be advised that all mobile carts should be placed behind the curb. There should be nothing placed in the roadway that would impede or delay the removal of snow or ice from the road. The garbage truck arm has the capability to reach past the curb in order to pick up your cans.
Here are some tips to ensure a smooth collection process:
- Set mobile cart out by 6:00 AM.
- Place mobile cart with the lid handle and wheels pointing toward your residence.
- Do not place cart in the roadway.
- Do not block walkways with carts.
- Place carts at least THREE FEET APART from each other and mailboxes, fire hydrants, low hanging trees or shrubs, parked cars, or utility poles – so trucks can easily access the cart.
Bulk Item Guidelines – Call to Schedule Pickup
Hopewell Township residents may dispose of one (1) bulk item per week. All bulk pickups must be scheduled in advance by calling Penn Waste customer service at 717-767-4456.
Appliances (including appliances containing Freon), furniture, mattresses, box springs, one (1) car tire without the rim, lawn mowers (oil and gasoline removed), plumbing fixtures such as toilets and sinks, three (3) 4 ft. rolls of carpet (tied).
Chemicals, stains, liquids, batteries, automobile parts, hazardous waste, tires on rims, commercial/industrial waste, construction materials (drywall, brick, block, lumber, shingles, tiles, concrete).
Items which are too heavy to be lifted into a truck by two people will not be accepted. Additional trash bags are NOT considered a bulk item.
Bulk items will be collected by appointment only. Please call Penn Waste at 717-767-4456 to schedule collection.
Basic Residential Guidelines
- Trash and Recycling must be curbside by 6:00 AM on your scheduled collection day, Tuesday and Friday.
- All waste and recycling should be in the mobile carts provided in this contract.
- Bulk Items should be scheduled through our customer service department prior to placing curbside. Freon items may also be scheduled through our customer service department.
- Bulk items that are too heavy to be lifted into a truck by two people will not be accepted.
- No construction debris will be collected curb side.
- To stay up to date on collection updates, sign up for our E-News Updates at www.pennwaste.com